The delegation of International Islamic Academy of Uzbekistan (IIAU) held a meeting with the leadership of Suleymaniye Library in Istanbul.
The Suleymaniye Library is the largest manuscript library in Turkey and preserves one of the world’s most extensive collections of Islamic manuscripts. Since its establishment in 1918, the library has served generations of scholars.
The library is located on the site of two of the medreses built in the mid-sixteenth century as part of the mosque complex commissioned by Sultan Suleyman and designed by the Ottoman architect Sinan. Since its establishment in 1557, libraries have always existed at Süleymaniye.
The library now contains an extensive and varied collection of manuscript material in Arabic, Turkish, and Persian (approximately 100,000 manuscripts in all), as well as printed material in pre-script-reform Turkish and several European languages (50,000 or so). The library’s holdings include all branches of religious knowledge, history, literature, geography, medicine, and the physical and occult sciences. In short, any sort of work composed within the broad tradition of Islamic letters can be found among Suleymaniye’s collection.
IIAU’s delegation reached an agreement with the leadership of the Sulaymaniye Library to cooperate in the creation of a catalogue of manuscripts of the Movarounnahr scholars.
Earlier, the Rector of the IIAU Shukhrat Yovkochev signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Research Center for Islamic History, Art and Culture (IRCICA).
A delegation of the Academy planned to visit a number of leading universities in Turkey.
International Islamic Academy of Uzbekistan